Brown Derby Cocktail | Bourbon Drink Recipes
So this classic Bourbon drink recipe dates all the way back to the 1930s. It may share the name of a famous hat, but the drink was actually named after a restaurant that was shaped like a Derby hat. The building still stands today despite the restaurant being closed. This drink is one that features a strong alcohol flavor so make sure you don’t mind a little kick to the drink if you try this one out.
Here’s what you’ll need to make the drink:
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice (Fresh is preferred)
- 1/2 oz Honey Syrup (1:1 Ratio)
- Grapefruit peel for garnish
Ok so in order to make the Honey Syrup you simply take 1 part of honey and add in 1 part of hot water. Stir it together and let it cool down. There ya go.
Once you have your syrup ready it’s time to make the drink.
- Chill a cocktail glass with ice.
- Put all ingredients except garnish into a shaker with ice.
- Shake well and strain into chilled cocktail glass.
- Twist the Grapefruit peel over the cocktail to release the oils.
- Put the Grapefruit twist into the drink.
As I said already, this one is strong so if you don’t really like alcohol much you may want to start off a little more mild. Remember, back in the day drinks featured more balance and featured the alcohol more prominently than most drinks we see today.